Friday, March 11, 2011

Ramblings on a spring afternoon


Today is the kind of day where it feels so good it feels like a drug…or at least what I imagine a drug that makes you feel good would feel like? The goodness literally feels like it’s running through my veins.

It’s blue, verdant, and looks like it’s all just about to burst. From the azaleas all in bloom to the trees that are showing off their greens after sleeping all winter long, it’s like one big breath of fresh air.

And it makes you feel oh-so-good. Like right down to the tippy toes. It’s all I can do to not just sit outside all.day.long.

It’s so weird, when I was pregnant I was overcome with this feeling of a desire and want for spring. I craved it. It was literally all I could think about in moments alone – and I kept trying to constantly remind myself to be happy and present – but it just wouldn’t happen. And I thought, you know…spring would be when we would be making the big announcement to friends and extended family, I would be showing, etc…so maybe that’s why I had this yearning for the coming season.

But I realize now, that God was doing something in my heart, and was preparing me for a new season – albeit just not one that I had pictured in my head. All along He knew spring would bring an overwhelming sense of happiness and renewal.  He has quieted my heart in a way that I never thought possible…and as most of you know, a quiet-anything is not very “me.” I’m more the kick-and-stomp-and-yell sort. Add to that combo a heart and mind led to easily to question and doubt, and well, I think you’ve got me figured out.

But oh, I’m learning. SO MUCH. SO-SO-SO-MUCH. This new season is so beautiful, gracious, and I feel like there’s nothing left for me to do but to sit, be silent, and enjoy. There are great things ahead.

The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.  ~ Exodus 14:14

2 comments:

Taylor K said...

1) Verdant is one of my favorite words

2) I am glad God is quieting your heart

3) Great verse

Kelley said...

Beautifully written. I'm so happy for you and spring and azaleas. :) Your own personal spring will come when it's right. love you!